Very often, garden paths in our areas appear spontaneously where we most often walk. These “original” paths can hardly be called trails, and sometimes they wind wherever possible: from the front garden to the greenhouse, from the cottage to the garage, etc. Until the rainy season begins, you can comfortably run along them, but then you must search. It is urgent to look somewhere in the attic for old galoshes or even grandmother’s galoshes. Not good!
Now let’s take a look at some good garden paths that will last a decade and look much better than the old ones.
There are many garden paths that are easy to walk on. Tiles and pavers now come in a variety of shapes! You can’t get enough of them. But for gardeners with not very high incomes, the price of such material is very “biting”)). So, let’s look at simple and economical ways to create tracks with your own hands from improvised material.
What to pave?
Immediately the question arises: how to asphalt? You can build your own walkways from the same material you used to build your country house. In addition, you probably saved the remains of building material: brick, stone or planks. For example, if the basement of a house is lined with white stone, the paths that “run” from the house to the garden should also be paved with stone; stone can be replaced with paving stones, rubble or something else. If your country house is built of wood, a combination of wood beams and stone, stoneware or gravel is a good idea for your own garden path. And a brick house will be connected by a solid brick path, but for the manufacture of brick garden paths, it is necessary to use clinker paving stones, because an ordinary building will become unusable in a few years. In general, look around and be smart.)
Do-it-yourself concrete path
Many roof owners, without hesitation slyly, erect monolithic concrete paths. Durable but so boring. However, even concrete walkways can be improved by decorating them with colorful mosaics, pieces of ceramic tiles or ceramics. And it’s easy to make a track with your own hands.
- After determining the width and length of the track, its base is lowered by 8-10 cm.
- Then fill it with sand to a height of 5-6 cm, press down well and pour water over it.
- Then, along the entire length of the caterpillar, install a frame made of wood or plywood, leaving a distance of 5-7 cm between them. The width of the frame should correspond to the width of the rail. The optimal dimensions of a wooden frame for concreting are 60×60 cm.
- Then the frame is poured with a concrete mixture, and when it dries a little, decorative elements are placed on top (you can even lay out an ordinary shell rock).
- After the path has completely dried (2-3 days), unpretentious plants for lawns are planted in the soil between the plates. That’s all)) – Do-it-yourself concrete path is ready.
Do-it-yourself garden paths from boards
The best material for creating a wooden walkway will be non-rotting larch wood.
Wooden walkways are usually raised above the ground.
- Walkways made of wood are usually raised from the ground on massive, solid wooden beams protected from rot.
- The boards are laid on a layer of crushed stone (5-6 cm).
- Make sure the gravel is carefully leveled over the entire area of the garden path beforehand.
- The boards are not placed next to each other, but with a gap of 1-2 cm between the boards to provide a kind of “air flow”)). Thanks to this, the promenade will last much longer.
Do-it-yourself garden paths from wooden chocks
You can also make a garden path out of wood blocks or cuttings from thicker trees that have been treated with an antiseptic to prevent rotting.
The path is made of lumber.
- Dig a trench 5-6 cm deeper than the height of the stumps or wooden carousels in the trackbed.
- Fill the ground with gravel (2-3 cm), then with sand (2-3 cm), carefully tamp, water abundantly and lay the logs in the ground as tightly as possible.
- Then backfill the gaps with gravel and sand and water generously again.
1. Lay the logs tightly in the path:
The wedges are inserted into the caterpillar. Photo from investrussia-2012.com
2. Level the logs with a sledgehammer:
Alignment of logs in height. Photo from investrussia-2012.com.
3. Finished garden path, the logs of which are already covered with gravel and sand:
Result. Photo from investrussia-2012.com
Garden paths based on figured forms: a master class
This beautiful DIY garden path can be made from solid, pre-made polystyrene molds that are readily available in stores around the world.
You will get an approximate result.
The forms of garden paths themselves may look something like this:
Mold for the garden path. Photo from telemagazin24.ru
The cost varies from 160 to 900 rubles. You and I will need at least 4 identical forms.
The selection of suitable forms can be made using our store, which presents products from various online stores. See a selection of forms for laying paving stones.
1. First mark the position and width of garden paths with stakes and string. Here I want to note that such forms as puzzles stick to each other easily, and their dimensions are usually 60×60 cm, which is more than enough for a narrow garden path. If you need a wider path, say 1.2m, place the two shapes across instead of lengthwise.
Now, using a shovel, dig a trench 8-10 cm deep along the marked path. Tamp the ground well. It is better to use an electric vibrator for this purpose; You can also compact the soil by hand, but this will require a lot of effort. A layer of crushed stone or pebbles (3-4 cm) is poured into a well-packed trench, and river sand (5-6 cm) is poured on top. Thoroughly rinse the sand with water from a hose and sprayer before setting up the molds. Then grease the molds with machine oil (if you don’t have it, you can use ordinary vegetable oil) and place them on wet sand.
Form in the trench. Photo from sameto.com.ua
3. Prepare a solution: cement – 1 part, sand – 3 parts and crushed stone – 4 parts. We add a special binder to the base and, adding water, begin to mix the solution, bringing it to the consistency of thick sour cream. And to make your own garden path sparkle with different colors, add a dye of the desired color to the solution.
Solution preparation. Photo from sameto.com.ua.
4. Then fill the molds to the brim with a trowel, avoiding air bubbles, and then remove excess mortar with a pre-prepared plastic bar (an iron bar can also be made for this purpose).
Solution pouring. Photo from sameto.com.ua
The solution will “harden” in 30-40 minutes, the molds can be carefully removed, they can be moved further along the route of the future track, and the procedure is repeated. Removing molds from semi-wet cement is quite easy (unless, of course, you forgot to grease them))
Mold removal. Photo from sameto.com.ua
5. Before the solution is completely dry, you can decorate the path with pieces of colored tiles, porcelain stoneware, beautiful stones or other materials. It is enough to press the decorations a little into the cement, and they will stick very well after the solution has completely dried.
And now the most difficult)). – To protect your newly created masterpiece from invading pets or spoiled children, since the cement mortar will dry completely in 2-3 days, and even then in sunny weather. So think about “protective measures”, put up signs or temporary fences.
As you can see, building a beautiful garden path with your own hands is not difficult. However, it will take a lot of work. But you will create comfort and beauty for yourself, and not for one year, so you should show your efforts and imagination, and finally enjoy the fruits of your labor. Good luck!