The herb garden is a creative and fun way to grow herbs. You can equip it in several ways: just a garden bed, a decorative flower bed.
Spicy herbs are one- and two-year-old. The best option for a novice gardener is common annuals or biennial herbs.
Annual plants include:
- Basil , grown from seeds or seedlings. It must be borne in mind that the grass is sensitive to frost. It is also recommended to change its landing site annually (due to the plant’s tendency to suffer from Fusarium). Seedlings are placed at a distance of 15-18 cm. In order to form neat bushes, the shoots must be pinched regularly. Grass is added to salads and sauces fresh or dried.
- Coriander ( cilantro ) is sown in open ground from mid-April. The grass grows well in light sandy soils. Once the plant blooms, it should not be eaten. Therefore, it is advisable to sow it several times in a season (an interval of 15-19 days). It is noteworthy that both leaves (dried, fresh) and fruits are eaten. Cilantro is an excellent spice for first / second courses, sauces, preserves, fresh salads.
- Dill has a strong spicy smell. Seeds are sown in open ground as soon as the soil thaws (about mid-April). The plant loves plenty of sunlight and even a hint of shade can reduce yields. It is difficult to find a hostess who does not use dill (fresh or dried). It is put in salads, preservation, first and second courses.
From perennial spicy herbs can be distinguished:
- Mint is a unique plant, since it has about 120 species that differ in taste and smell. The most popular are peppermint and fragrant. Grass is planted in April or August. A distinctive feature is to grow strongly and survive other plants. This is an unpretentious plant that does not accept only clay, highly moistened soils. The use of mint is the largest: cooking, pharmacology, cosmetology, perfumery.
- Parsley is a biennial crop and is sown at the end of April. It is not advisable to sow it in areas where dill, cilantro, cumin, and carrots used to grow. It will be possible to cut fresh greens all season if you periodically sow the seeds. The fresh leaves and roots of the plant are eaten.
- Sage is a spicy herb rich in varieties (about 700 species). Seeds are sown in well-lit areas in late March-early April. It is used fresh and dried as a seasoning for meat and fish dishes, soups, salads.
- Marjoram can be attributed to capricious crops. It is more expedient to plant seedlings. Landing is carried out in early June, on previously prepared and fertilized soil. The recommended layout of seedlings is 5×5 cm. The site should be in a heated and lit place, protected from drafts. Add this spice to meat dishes.
- Fennel is characterized by long pinnately dissected leaves. When planting a plant, one must take into account its high growth – about 150 cm. A suitable site is a sunny place with drained soil. Fennel does not get along very well with carrots, tomatoes. Housewives add leaves and fresh shoots to salads, and the roots are used in marinades and pickles. Also popular is the use of fennel seeds as a flavoring of confectionery, wines, soups.
Some perennial herbs can grow strongly (mint, oregano, sage), so it is better to “isolate” such crops from other plants in advance.
Plain spicy patch
It makes sense to grow herbs in a traditional garden bed that will help repel garden pests. It is desirable to arrange such plantings along the perimeter of individual plots or between rows of vegetables.
Melissa lemon – has an exquisite pleasant smell, which is poorly tolerated by mosquitoes, whiteflies, aphids. But the aroma of lemon balm is very attractive to bees, which should also be taken into account when planting this herb.
Spider mites, flies, and aphids are negatively related to basil. An important feature of the grass is to disinfect the soil, so you can plant the plant as green manure.
Mint and thyme repel whitefly, cabbage whitefly, ants, fleas and aphids. A distinctive feature of mint is to attract beneficial insects (ladybug, hoverfly flies) that feed on aphids and other pests.
It is advisable to prepare a place for arranging a spicy bed in advance.
How to break a flower bed
Spicy herbs in a summer cottage – this is a great opportunity to design a non-standard “delicious” flower bed. As a rule, perennial herbs are used to create it. Since the flower bed also performs a decorative function, it is necessary to choose the right set of herbs. This is necessary so that it is convenient to care for plants and high-growing crops do not cover low ones.
Preparatory work is being carried out to prepare the site for planting herbs.
- In autumn, the earth is dug up and cleared of weeds. A set of grass is approximately selected and a crop layout is drawn up.
- In the spring, the soil is additionally loosened and the plan and shape of the flower bed are outlined.
- With the help of a frame or stones, a flower bed is formed and filled with fertile soil.
The best option is to place the plants first in pots. This will make it possible to roughly assess the appearance of the flower bed, the correctness of the neighborhood of plants (taking into account their growth and care features).
You can decorate a flower bed in the form of round tiers or lay out a spiral with the help of stones. An excellent option would be to divide the flower bed into segments.
Fans of even rows can plant herbs in specially prepared high beds. Remains of building materials (beams, logs) are suitable as walls of the structure. If you picturesquely arrange several beds, you get a real spicy garden. And decorative paths will elegantly complement the garden and make plant maintenance pleasant and easy.
Features of caring for spicy flower beds
In principle, most spicy fucks are unpretentious and do not require close care. Such crops are usually resistant to diseases and pests. It must be borne in mind that excessive use of fertilizers with nitrogen leads to the growth of green mass. This can result in loss of aromatic features. It is also not advisable to part with watering.
Until the grass grows, you need to carefully weed the weeds. Plots of soil between plants are best mulched.
It is best to equip a spicy garden near a place of rest or near the house. So quickly pick greens for the table.
Do not forget that spicy herbs harmoniously look with annual flowers: nasturtiums, marigolds, calendula. Therefore, the original spicy flower garden can become a real decoration of the site.